Baking has always been fun and enjoyable but very frequently, we bake in large batches and end up having a lot of cake left. How then can we store and prevent these leftovers from turning stale? Here are a few simple ways to keep your cupcakes fresh!
- Unfrosted cupcakes can be kept at room temperature for up to two-three days in an air-tight container.
- Freeze the unfrosted cupcake after wrapping the cupcake tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Able to be kept in the freezer for months. To eat these frozen cupcakes, take them out of the freezer and start frosting them. Leave the frosted cupcake to thaw at room temperature for an hour.
- For cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, chocolate ganache, whipped cream, it is best to refrigerate them. Wrap the cupcake tightly in plastic foil to prevent the cupcake from losing its moisture.
- The frosting on frosted cupcakes acts as a “plastic wrap” that prevents the cupcake from losing its moisture. Frosted cupcakes are able to be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days in an air-tight container.
- To refrigerate a frosted cupcake, chill the frosted cupcake in the fridge for 15 minutes first to harden the frosting before covering the cupcake in plastic wrap.
Oil based cupcakes also store 1-2 days longer compared to cupcakes made from butter.
With these simple tips, your cupcakes would be able to stay fresh longer and be kept for longer periods of time J